Halloween PEEPS Fruit Kabobs
It seems like every time I go to the store, I am reminded of how close we are getting to Halloween. I never seem to be ready and scramble for ideas of treats to get for the kids’ school parties. This year, I plan to be ahead of schedule with plenty of ideas under my belt!
Thanks to Peeps, I have a few ideas! One of them being Halloween Peeps Fruit Kabobs! One of my challenges this year was a child in my son’s class has a peanut allergy. I always want to make sure I am careful what I send and that rules out a lot of snacks.
Next challenge was, the school has asked to not have too many junk food items as treats. Now that rules out everything else! It’s not like the good old days where you can bring a bag of candy bars to hand out to everyone.
I realized I needed to do something with fruit. But I couldn’t just do regular fruit kabobs. That seemed a bit boring. This is where Peeps come in! There are so many great Halloween shapes, but I went with the pumpkin for this one. I liked the fact they are peanut free, gluten free and fat free!
Now you might ask, “How healthy can they be? It’s still candy!”. Yes, it is still candy, but each pumpkin is only 14 calories! That’s it! I think it’s pretty minimal. So when I went for the Peeps, they also happen to be pretty inexpensive. They were $0.99 for 1 package which had 24 pumpkins. That took care of the whole class!
- Wooden or bamboo skewers
- Enough fruit for as many kabobs as you plan to make
Here’s what I did:
- Wash red and green grapes, pat dry.
- Drain mandarin oranges and place on paper towel. Gently pat dry.
- Cut or pull apart Peeps
- Using a wooden or bamboo skewer, alternate fruit along the stick leaving about an inch at the pointy end of the skewer.
- Place the Peep on the last inch of the pointed end of the skewer.(If you are making these ahead, put the Peep on just before serving.)
My boys had no problem devouring these faster than I could make them!